This post is courtesy of our contributor Melissa…This Spice Cake recipe is a family favorite. They request it for birthdays, cookouts, and holidays. Once you try this recipe it is sure to be a favorite with your family as well.
Spice Cake Recipe:
We’ve included this recipe in a printable format. Make sure you print the recipe for both the cake & the frosting.
- 2 cups cake flour
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground allspice
- ¼ teaspoon ground ginger
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ½ cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1½ cups golden brown sugar, packed
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup sour cream
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Spray two 8" circle cake pans with baking spray.
- Sift first 7 ingredients into small bowl.
- Beat butter in large bowl until fluffy.
- Add brown sugar and beat until well blended and then add the eggs.
- Beat in flour mixture in 3 additions alternately with sour cream in 2 additions.
- Pour evenly between both prepared pans.
- Bake for about 25 minutes or until top is lightly golden and tester inserted into center comes out clean.
- Cool cake for about 10 minutes in pan. Then remove from pan and cool completely on wire rack.
- 1 stick unsalted butter, room temperature
- 8 ounce packages of cream cheese, slightly cold
- ½ teaspoon clear vanilla extract
- 4 cups of confectioners’ sugar, sifted
- In large bowl, beat butter on medium speed until light and fluffy.
- Add in the cream cheese and beat until combined.
- Reduce mixer speed and slowly add confectioners’ sugar until well combined.
- Add vanilla and mix until just blended.
- Frost cake as desired.
- Once frosted, I like to press chopped walnuts into the sides of the cake for texture.
Thank you so much to Melissa of Sweet & Tasty Pastry for sharing this recipe & tutorial with us. Be sure to follow Melissa on Facebook for more delicious ideas. If you try this recipe, head over to her Facebook page to let her know what you thought of it. If you’re looking for a baker in Providence, Rhode Island, be sure to contact Melissa!