Have a bake sale coming up and need recipe ideas? Maybe your annual block party is quickly approaching and you’re looking for a new treat to serve. Perhaps you’re just hungry and in need of a tasty midnight snack. Well, here’s your solution – Chocolate Macaroon Cookie Bars! It’s the perfect combination of a thick chocolate cookie with a chewy coconut topping. It all starts with a cookie mix so it’s quite easy to put together. You will need to let it cool for a couple of hours before slicing into squares though so if you’re looking for a midnight snack, it’s time to start baking!
Chocolate Macaroon Cookie Bars:
For the cookie base, I was looking for the Betty Crocker DOUBLE Chocolate Chunk Cookie Mix. After searching several stores, I just gave up and improvised with a Betty Crocker Chocolate Chunk Cookie Mix and added in 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder. Just as tasty as the double chocolate cookie mix, I’m sure.
- Betty Crocker Chocolate Chunk Cookie Mix (plus the butter and egg called for on the package directions)
- ¼ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 3½ cups sweetened flaked coconut
- 1 can sweetened condensed milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 375F.
- Line a 9" x 9" square baking pan with parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl, prepare cookie dough as directed on the Betty Crocker package.
- Stir in cocoa powder until well mixed.
- Spread cookie dough evenly in the parchment paper lined pan.
- Bake cookie for 15 minutes.
- In a separate bowl, combine coconut, condensed milk and vanilla. Stir until well combined.
- Spread coconut mixture evenly over baked cookie.
- Reduce heat to 350F and bake for an additional 15 minutes.
- Cool completely before slicing into squares.
Love chocolate & coconut desserts? Check out some of our other favorites!
Coconut Macaroons – super simple to make and baked in just 15 minutes!
Triple Chocolate Coconut Bars – barely any mixing involved here!