Enjoy a sunny afternoon outside while enjoying this vegetable picking play date idea. Gather your best mommy buddies and the little ones and meet at a U Pick Vegetable Farm. After enjoying time at the farm vegetable picking, you’ll want to make a delicious stew like this one!
- 1 can chicken broth
- 1 large carrot, sliced
- 2 medium potatoes, cut into bite sized pieces
- ½ cup celery, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 6 fresh mushrooms, chopped
- dash of salt
- dash of pepper
- ½ tsp thyme
- ½ tsp savory
- 2 cups water
- 2 tablespoons flour, may need a little more to thicken stew
- In an electric frying pan, brown the carrot, mushrooms, potatoes, celery and onion in chicken broth. Add salt & pepper.
- Add 2 cups of water, thyme, and savory. Turn heat to medium-low, place lid on pan and cook slowly 40 minutes. Stir several times.
- Make a paste of flour with a little cold water. Add to stew & stir until thickened.
While at the farm, you can play little scavenger hunt games with the kids like find:
- 5 different types of green vegetables
- a vegetable larger than your head
- 5 different colors of vegetables
- a vegetable longer than your foot
- a pricing sign
- a sale sign
- a basket of fruit
- a dog
- a cat
- garden tools
- water hose
Another fun idea is to bring along a camera to take pictures of the kids enjoying their time vegetable picking at the farm. There may be special events during different times of the year, call ahead to see if there are any upcoming events for special holidays.
Have you ever made stew from scratch? What’s your favorite stew ingredient?
For more fun ideas to enjoy as a family, follow us on Facebook. We look forward to chatting with you there!