These Halloween cookies are courtesy of our contributor Shayna…I can hardly believe that Halloween is right around the corner, sigh. But it is. Don’t get me wrong, I actually love Halloween. What I don’t like is that means winter is not far behind. Oh well. Let’s put winter aside and focus on the fun stuff! These spider infested chocolate chip cookies are a simple and fun treat to serve at a Halloween party, to take to the office to share, or just for a fun treat at home. This post was inspired by Beth’s creation over at Hungry Happenings.
I have included my go to chocolate chip cookie recipe here but you can use your own favorite recipe as well. My recipe makes about 3 dozen cookies.
Spider Halloween Cookies:
- 1 cup of butter or margarine softened
- ¾ cup of white sugar
- ¾ cup of brown sugar
- 1 tsp of vanilla
- ½ tsp of water
- 2 eggs
- 2¼ cup of flour
- 1 tsp of baking soda
- 1 tsp of salt
- 1 cup of chocolate chips
- ½ cup of chocolate chips for decorating
- Preheat oven to 375F.
- Mix butter, sugar, vanilla and water until creamy. Beat in eggs. Add flour, baking soda and salt. Stir in chocolate chips.
- Drop my rounded teaspoon onto a greased or lined baking sheet. Make sure there are a few chocolate chips on the top of each cookie to make your spider after. You can just place a few on top if necessary. Bake for 10-12 minutes or until they start to brown.
- Transfer to a wire rack to cool.
- While the cookies are cooling place the extra chocolate chips in a small microwavable bowl. Heat for 30 seconds at a time, taking out and stirring each time, until they are melted and smooth.
- Place the melted chocolate in a piping bag with a small, plain tip. You can also use a small decorating squeeze bottle or even a sandwich bag with the corner cut out.
- Pipe a head and legs onto some of the chocolate chips. That’s it! Allow the chocolate to set completely before storing.
Looking for more delicious ideas by Shayna? Check out this mouthwatering Spiced Apple Cheesecake that would look perfect on your table this Thanksgiving! Another recipe that would be perfect for Fall entertaining is this Pumpkin Spice Loaf.