How many times a week do you cook your meals outside on the BBQ? We BBQ all year long but it’s certainly more enjoyable to BBQ without your winter coat and hat on! We enjoy the BBQ regulars like burgers, potatoes and sausages but there are so many unique recipe ideas for summer grilling. Have you ever cooked eggs on the BBQ? Last month I shared an easy way to fry eggs on the BBQ (perfect for camping) and now I have a delicious recipe for summer entertaining – Fiesta Tomatoes!
Fiesta Tomatoes Recipe:
I’ve left out the quantities here because it depends on how many people you’re feeding. I generally make one tomato per person, one egg per tomato and enough black beans, onions and corn to fill your tomatoes about 90% full.
With 6 grams of protein, 14 essential nutrients and only 70 calories in each large Grade A egg, they are a nutritious choice for summer grilling. Do you have creative summer entertaining ideas using eggs? Chef Lynn Crawford is sharing some of her favourites like Black Bean & Egg Tostadas and Egg & Lobster Rolls. I’m excited to be joining Chef Crawford at an special lunch on July 30th to talk about delicious summer recipes including nutritious Canadian eggs! Join us on social media using the hashtag #SummerSideUp and share your summer recipes using fresh, local Canadian eggs. I’m sure you’ll find plenty of summer entertaining inspiration!
- large tomatoes
- black beans
- corn niblets
- green onions
- taco seasoning
- eggs (1 per tomato)
- shredded cheese
- taco chips
- Cut the tops off all the tomatoes and scoop out the centers. Don't scoop out too much though or your tomato skin will be too thin to hold its shape.
- Put the black beans, corn and sliced green onions in a medium bowl. Sprinkle about 1 tablespoon of the taco seasoning on top and stir well to mix.
- Place bean mixture in each tomato and fill them about 90%. Add a little sprinkled cheese to each.
- Place the tomatoes in aluminum foil bowls and place on the BBQ.
- Crack an egg in the top of each tomato bowl.
- Bake in the BBQ on medium-high heat until the eggs are firm. Sprinkle a bit more cheese on each for the last minute of baking.
- Serve with taco chips & a spoon for scooping.
We want to help you plan the ultimate summer party with a fun giveaway! This #SummerSideUp Prize Pack is valued at $500 and open to Canadian residents, excluding Quebec (see the full rules here). Giveaway ends August 6, 2015.
- Mason jar salt & pepper shaker set
- 4 citron cloth napkins
- 1 large ivory ceramic farm egg/fruit basket
- 1 ivory ceramic colander
- 1 mason jar drink dispenser
- 1 – 6 piece milk/juice bottle wood set with tray and straws
- 1 lay in the sun pressed wood platter
- 1 ash and wood salad serving bowl
- 1 ash and wood salad tongs
- 4 stoneware tinware look salad plates
- Propane BBQ
*In the event that these prizes are sold out/no longer available at the time of giveaway ending, a gift card will be provided of equal value.
This giveaway is now closed. Congratulations Margaret H!
Be sure to like the Egg Farmers of Canada on Facebook for delicious recipe ideas, follow @eggsoeufs on Twitter for exciting contest details and helpful tips and follow them on Pinterest for healthy & fun meal ideas.
Disclosure: I am participating in the Egg Farmers of Canada campaign managed by SJ Consulting. I received compensation in exchange for my participation in this campaign. The opinions on this blog are my own.