Do you ever wish you could go back to the 80’s just for a day? Perhaps go back to a school dance or just act silly with some of your best girlfriends? Well…in this ladies night in you’ll be able to escape back to the 80’s for an evening while enjoying some fun games, candy and activities with your best girlfriends. I’m going to tell you more about our 13 Going on 30 Party is just a moment – but first I want to tell you about a new series on Moms & Munchkins.
This post is the first in a new series called Movie Mondays. Each Monday I’ll be sharing a fun ladies night in idea inspired by a romantic comedy (sometimes referred to as “Chick Flick”). Every post in the series will focus on one movie and will include food ideas and activities for planning a special night in with your best mommy friends. Wondering why it’s featured on a Monday? No one has a ladies night in on a Monday, right? I’m sharing them on Mondays so that you have time to plan your own fun movie-inspired party before the weekend rolls back around. So now let’s jump right into this week’s feature!
13 Going on 30 Party:
The movie 13 Going on 30 was released in April 2004. Jenna (Jennifer Garner) is a 13 year old girl who can’t wait to grow up. She makes a wish to be “30, Flirty & Thriving” and then magically wakes up as a 30 year old woman with no memory of the last 17 years. Her BFF as a teen was Matt but she discoveres that she chose the “popular” lifestyle over her best friend years ago and now her and Matt (played by Mark Ruffalo) are no longer friends. It’s a really sweet romantic comedy that reminds us not to be in such a hurry to grow up. For this fun 13 Going on 30 Movie Party, take a break from your busy “mommy” lifestyle and escape back to the 80’s with candy, teen magazines, juicy gossip and more!
13 Going on 30 Party Decorations:
For this fun movie night, invite your best girlfriends over for an 80’s themed pajama party. Neon pajamas, hair scrunchies and crimped hair are just a few fun ways to “look the part” for this fun night in. If you’re lucky, you may be able to find a pair of pajamas with a popular character from the 80’s.
The decor for your party could include:
- chalkboard backdrop with silly messages like “Jenna + Matt” and “BFF”
- 80’s pop artist posters (Michael Jackson, Madonna, etc.)
- 80’s cassette tapes
- sparkle confetti (like the kind that Matt sprinkles on the dollhouse for Jenna)
- pen holders to hold candy and snacks
- tween magazines
- women’s magazines
- binders instead of cake stands and pedestals
- hair scrunchies
- sleep masks
13 Going on 30 Party Food:
Food for your movie party could include:
- popcorn and seasoning salts
- 80’s candies like Razzles (mentioned a few times in the movie), Nerds, Pixy Stix, jaw breakers, taffy, candy jewelry, Pop Rocks, etc.
- retro pop bottles
13 Going on 30 Party Activites:
A fun ladies night in just isn’t complete without a few silly games. There are so many to choose from with this fun movie!
1) Set up a silly photo booth to do some yearbook pictures complete with 80’s jewelry, tall hair and hair scrunchies!
2) Listen to 80’s music and talk about some of your favorite memories from elementary or high school.
3) Play a fun game where a roll of the dice decides which silly activity you have to complete. For example:
- Rolling a one means you have to do the Michael Jackson Thriller dance (they do this in the movie in case you need some instructions!)
- Rolling a two means you have to do a one minute air band performance to an 80’s tune
- Rolling a three means you have to make a prank call to a husband of one of the party guests (Is your refrigerator running? Then you better go catch it!)
- Rolling a four means you have to take a quiz in a teen magazine and read your answers out loud
- Rolling a five means you have to take a quiz in a woman’s magazine and read your answers out loud
- Rolling a six means you have to choose Truth or Dare (here’s a family-friendly free printable version of the game)
After all of your fun activities, you can curl up on the couch or on the floor with pillows and sleeping bags to watch the movie.
How’s this for an 80’s themed yearbook picture? I totally had to Photoshop out my wrinkles. Ha!
What movie would you like to see featured on Movie Mondays? Let me know in the comments below!