You know that old saying “Out of sight, out of mind”? Well, that doesn’t work for me when it comes to chocolate. These Chocolate Caramel Brownies looked so delicious that I started digging into the pan before they were cool. Someone has to taste them to make sure they are edible, right? Once I started, I couldn’t stop. My first solution was to put them in the freezer to save them for the holidays. Surely I wouldn’t eat them if they were frozen, right? Wrong. I then had to ask my husband to put them in the trunk of his car so that I couldn’t easily get to them. The plan is for him to take them to his workplace today to share…but I may have been looking for his car keys.
Chocolate Caramel Brownies Recipe:
If one of your New Year’s resolutions will be leading a healthier lifestyle, then you better make a batch of these before December 31st because they certainly aren’t a health food.
- ¾ cup all-purpose flour
- ¾ cup unsweetened cocoa
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup unsalted butter, softened
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- ½ cup brown sugar, packed
- 3 large eggs, divided
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups milk chocolate chips, divided
- ½ cup caramel ice cream topping
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Spray a 8-inch square baking pan with cooking non-stick cooking spray. Be generous here because the caramel is sticky.
- In a medium bowl, combine flour, cocoa and salt. Stir to mix then set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat butter, sugar and brown sugar until creamy.
- In the sugar mixture, add two eggs and beat well to mix.
- Add vanilla extract to sugar mixture and beat well to mix.
- Gradually add flour mixture to sugar mixture and beat well to mix.
- Take ¾ cup of the brownie batter out of the bowl and set it aside.
- Spread the rest of the remaining batter into the prepared pan.
- Sprinkle 1 cup of chocolate chips over the brownie mixture in the pan and top evenly with caramel.
- Beat the remaining brownie batter and an egg in a large bowl until creamy.
- Stir in the last cup of chocolate chips.
- Spread remaining batter evenly over caramel topping.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes or until center is set.
- Cool completely before cutting into squares.
These are perfect for baking exchanges, parties or gifts…if you’re willing to share.
For more delicious dessert ideas, visit our Party Food & Family Meals page.
We’re always adding new ideas. Follow us on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, Google + and Bloglovin’ for the latest.
Craving more chocolate? Check out our Chocolate Macaroon Cheesecake Parfaits.