An art-themed birthday party is such a popular party theme for kids because it allows them a space to express their creativity. With so many different types of art, there is sure to be something of interest to every child at the party.
Art Birthday Party – Invitations:
A cute idea for an art-themed paper invitation is to make it look like it is sitting on an art easel. To have your child involved in the process, have him or her draw an envelope seal on the back of each invitation. For creative hand-delivered invitations, you could use a mini blank canvas, a photo invitation and mod podge.
This party could be held in your own backyard or at a local art studio. Some art galleries also provide a creative space for rent that would be perfect for a child’s party.
Art Birthday Party – Decorations:
One of the great things about an art-themed party is that the party activities also double as decorations. Since art is all about different colors and textures, you don’t have to worry about matching colors. Some art-themed decorations could include:
- A paint splashed painting sheet as a backdrop for the party table (your kids will have a blast helping to create this!)
- Inexpensive decorative wooden craft frames spray painted in a variety of colors and displayed on the back wall behind the food table
- Mini art easels, paint and brushes at each place setting
- A mixture of solid colors for paper plates, plastic utensils, napkins, paper straws and cups
On each of the guests’ chairs, you could include an art apron personalized with an iron-on label with each child’s name. Iron-on labels are really easy to make with special iron-on paper made for at-home printer use.
Art Birthday Party – Activities:
For an art birthday party, there can be several different stations set up for different types of masterpieces. Some art station ideas include:
- Mini canvases with paint
- Large roll of paper with crayons and markers
- Clay for making sculptures
- Jewelry station for making necklaces
- Melting and making your own crayon colors
Depending on the type of art stations you have planned, some supplies could include:
- Paint brushes
- Water for rinsing brushes
- Water and soap for washing hands
- Paint tray for mixing colors
- Mini and large art easels
- Glitter glue
- Paint aprons
- Paint sheet on the ground
You may want to start the creative art portion of the party early so that the masterpieces have time to dry before the children take them home. While you are waiting for the art to dry, a fun art-inspired game to play would be Pictionary.
After all of the art pieces are complete, you can host a mini art show where the children have an opportunity to showcase their talent.
Art Birthday Party – Food:
For an art-themed party, colorful food also acts as a party decoration. Some examples of colorful food decorations include:
- Different colors of gummy candy in clear plastic paint cans
- Colorful fruit in a plastic paint pallet
- Licorice in a rainbow of colors
Art doesn’t have to be restricted to paper, paint and clay – the food at the party could be another way to express creativity! In your own “Starving Artists” buffet, supply the guests with square bread (like flatbread) and a variety of pizza toppings. They can then use this bread canvas to create their own pizza meal.
The pizza goes great with colorful chips (labeled as “Paint Chips”) and dip along with colorful juices labeled as “Creative Juice”.
For dessert, a cookie painting buffet could be set up with plain sugar cookies, icing, food coloring pens and sprinkles. If you’d prefer to make the cookies ahead of time, rectangle cookies could be iced in a few different shades of the same color to look like paint swatches.
Art Birthday Party – Favors:
The little guests can take home their art masterpieces and personalized art aprons as part of their favor. Other fun ideas include:
- Paint with water book
- Sidewalk chalk
- Mini plastic paint cans filled with candy
- Small set of paints
- Mini art easel and canvas
- Small plastic craft box filled with crayons and markers
Art Birthday Party Supplies:
Here are some supply ideas for your creative birthday party bash:
1. Art Personalized Invitation
2. Crayon Bubbles
3. Shrink Art
4. Mini Watercolor Paint Set
5. Small Plastic Paint Can
6. Mini Paint Can Candy Containers
7. Glob All Natural Paint Pigments
8. Crayola Washable Watercolors
9. Ultra-Mini Display Easel 3-Pack
10. Ultra-Mini Set of 2 Easels with Canvases
11. Loew-Cornell 65-Inch Natural Wood Floor Easel
12. Paint Pallet Plastic for 10 colors
13. Chenille Kraft Wood Handle Round Brushes
14. 12 Pack Children’s Artists Aprons
15. Half-Pint Milk Bottles
16. Pink Striped Paper Straws
17. Badash Biscuit Jar
18. Pastel Candy Pearls
Don’t forget to check out our Birthday Party Page for free party printables, planning tips and checklists, theme ideas and much more!
Printable Party Supplies: Just A Little Sparkle
*Disclosure: Just A Little Sparkle provided the printable party supplies for use in this article. I am an affiliate with Amazon and Birthday in a Box. All opinions expressed here are my own.