The cold & flu season is already here. We all want to avoid getting sick this flu season but it can be hard to avoid germs while we’re out at work, school or other public places. Here are 20 tips to avoid the flu to hopefully keep you healthy this season!
Tips To Avoid The Flu:
- Get your flu shot. Shoppers Drug Mart pharmacies offer flu immunizations administered by an injection-certified pharmacist. You don’t even need an appointment!
- Wash your hands regularly. Teach children about the proper way to wash their hands – with soap and for the right duration – to properly clean hands.
- Bring antibacterial hand wipes with you when you’re out. I always have hand wipes with me so I can clean my son’s hands when we aren’t near a sink. These are great for playgrounds, indoor gyms, the mall, etc.
- Disinfect surfaces regularly. Use disinfecting wipes on surfaces like countertops, door handles, telephones, etc. to help prevent the spread of germs.
- Get enough sleep. Your body needs a healthy amount of sleep every night in order to fight off germs and keep you healthy.
- Keep your body healthy by adding exercise into your daily routine. This applies for both kids and adults!
- Get fresh air daily. Get outside for a walk daily if you can to enjoy some fresh air and sunshine. It’s easy to go into “hibernation-mode” in the cold winter months but fresh air and sunlight can be good for your body and mood.
- Boost your immunity. Eat healthy immune-boosting foods to help fight off germs. This could be as simple as starting your day with a fresh fruit and yogurt smoothie or adding healthy vegetables like broccoli or bell peppers to your dinner menu.
- Eat healthy. Immune-boosting foods are important but healthy eating habits should be part of your regular routine. Skip the fast foods and pack yourself a salad for lunch instead. Holiday baking can be tempting but try not to eat a dozen cookies as a meal. Everyone deserves a little treat but make sure you are adding healthy foods into your meals daily as well.
- Drink plenty of fluids. Try to drink at least 8 glasses of water a day to keep you hydrated and healthy.
- Keep your hands off your face. Teach children not to put their hands in their mouth, eyes or nose to prevent the spread of germs.
- Avoid close contact with people who are sick. This can be a tough one if someone at school, work or home is sick but try to keep a safe distance from others who are sick so you don’t catch their germs.
- Keep stress levels down. Yes, stress and exhaustion can play a big part in keeping your body healthy.
- Try meditation. Meditation can be beneficial for you to help reduce stress and to help you get a peaceful sleep at night. If you aren’t sure where to start, I recommend the Headspace app. You can start with just 10 minutes a day!
- Stay home if you are sick. If you’re not feeling well, stay home from school or work so that you don’t pass your germs to others. If your immune system is already weak, you don’t want to put yourself in a situation of catching germs from others as well.
- Take probiotics. Probiotics are “good bacteria” that can help keep you healthy. You can find them in pill form or in foods like certain yogurts.
- Use a humidifier. Did you know that in dry air particles like the flu virus can stay airborne longer? The air gets quite dry in the winter months so turn on that humidifier beside your bed while you sleep at night.
- Visit your doctor regularly. During the peak season of the flu, it would be best to avoid the doctor’s office if you can but make sure you & your children are visiting your doctor annually for check-ups. Doctors can check you for other health concerns (like vitamin deficiencies) that may be affecting your immune system.
- Avoid hospitals. If you don’t have to go to the hospital, it’s best to stay away from them! The hospital can be filled with germs that you don’t want to catch. My son once went in with a broken leg and by the time we made a few visits there for that he ended up with croup, RSV, pneumonia and an ear infection and was hospitalized for a week.
- Keep your medicine cabinet stocked. Does your medicine cabinet have everything you need in case you start to feel sick? Now is a good time to do an inventory check to make sure you have your needed medicines and vitamins.
WIN A COLD & FLU PRIZE PACK!
Follow the steps below to enter to win a $150 cold & flu prize pack from Shoppers Drug Mart! This prize pack includes:
- Life Brand Hand Sanitizer
- Cough Drops
- Vaporizing Cold Rub
- Electrolyte Maintenance Powder
- Disinfectant Wipes
- PC Chicken noodle soup
- PC Facial tissues
- PC Feeling Soothed Tea
- $100 gift card
Giveaway Rules & Restrictions:
- This giveaway is open to Canadian (excluding Quebec) residents only who are at least 18 years of age. Giveaways are void where prohibited by law.
- Winner will be chosen randomly. Winning entries will be verified prior to contacting the winner.
- Odds of winning depend on number of entrants.
- The giveaway ends November 22nd, 2016 at 11:59pm. A winner will be drawn randomly within 24 hours of the end of the giveaway. The winner will be notified, by email, and will have 48 hours to claim the prize & answer a skill testing question. If I do not receive a response from the winner within 48 hours, a prize forfeit will be assumed and a new winner will be chosen randomly.
- I reserve the right to disqualify any entries. I reserve the right to end, extend, or change a giveaway for any reason and without prior notice.
- By entering giveaways, you verify that you understand and meet the prize eligibility requirements.
- Please note that Moms & Munchkins is not responsible for sponsors that do not fulfill their prize. I will not be responsible for lost or damaged items. Replacement items will not be provided. We have represented each sponsor with the expectation that they will fulfill their prize in a timely manner. While we are not responsible, we will make every effort to assist the winner in obtaining their prize.
- Please wait 4 weeks for fulfillment of prize. Winners have 8 weeks to report non-fulfillment of prizes.
- Once the winner claims the prize, his/her name will be posted on the giveaway page. Your name, full mailing address and email address will be sent to the prize sponsor so they can contact you to award your prize.
*Disclosure: I was compensated for this post; however, all opinions expressed here are my own.