You will never hear me turn down chocolate for breakfast. Leftover chocolate cake for breakfast? Don’t mind if I do! Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins for breakfast? I’ll take a dozen to go, please! These S’mores Waffles are probably more of a dessert food than a breakfast but no judgement here if you gobble down a few in the morning. I don’t drink coffee so maybe chocolate is what I need to start my day off right…right before I hop on the exercise bike downstairs.
These S’mores Waffles start with a boxed cake mix. Have you ever made waffles with a cake mix? So yummy! I mixed in extra chocolate chips and mini marshmallows into the waffle batter. If you’re going to make the ultimate waffles, it’s best just to go all in with added deliciousness and calories.
I topped these waffles with chocolate whipped cream but I feel I need to warn you first that chocolate whipped cream is highly addictive! Seriously, so good! Great on waffles, as a fruit dip, on cupcakes or even just to eat with a spoon straight out of the bowl. So go grab those stretchy pants and let’s get baking!
- 1 box Betty Crocker Supermoist Chocolate Fudge Cake Mix
- 1⅓ cups water
- ⅓ cup vegetable oil
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup mini semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup mini marshmallows
- Chocolate Whipped Cream:
- 2 cups heavy cream (35%)
- ¼ cup cocoa powder
- ½ cup confectioners sugar
- Additional Toppings:
- graham cracker crumbs
- mini chocolate chips
- mini marshmallows
- Preheat waffle maker to a medium heat setting.
- In a large bowl, combine cake mix, water, vegetable oil and eggs. Beat on medium speed for two minutes.
- Stir in chocolate chips and mini marshmallows.
- Spray waffle maker with non-stick cooking spray before cooking each waffle.
- Pour batter into the waffle maker. The amount of batter depends on the size of your waffle maker. You'll want enough to cover the waffle grill but not so much that it will overflow when you're cooking it. Depending on the size of your waffle maker, you'll get between 8-10 waffles from this batter.
- Carefully remove each waffle from the waffle maker as they are done.
- Chocolate Whipped Cream:
- Put a large metal bowl and beaters in the freezer for 15 minutes to chill the bowl.
- Remove bowl from freezer, pour heavy cream, cocoa powder and confectioners sugar into bowl and beat on high until soft peaks form (about 5 minutes).
- Store leftovers in refrigerator.
- Top waffles with chocolate whipped cream, graham cracker crumbs, chocolate chips and mini marshmallows.
Looking for another over-the-top waffle recipe? Check out this irresistible Banana Split Waffle.
Want to make your own homemade waffles, here is a great waffle recipe made from scratch.