This Rainbow Rice Krispie Cake is a creative twist on the classic treat that kids (and adults) love! This treat idea would be great as a St. Patrick’s Day dessert or for a rainbow birthday party. It’s basically the same recipe as the classic Rice Krispie squares but in this version you separate the marshmallow mixture into 5 parts to create 5 different colors: red, orange, yellow, green and blue. Then layer them for a delicious rainbow treat!
Rainbow Rice Krispie Cake:
This is super easy to make but it’s sticky so it can be a little frustrating to work with. I always keep a bowl of cold water beside me so I can wet my hands in between layers to prevent a sticky mess.
- ½ cup unsalted butter
- 8 cups marshmallows (either mini or regular)
- 10 cups Rice Krispies cereal
- food coloring: red, orange, yellow, green, blue
- 1 additional cup of mini marshmallows for topping
- Spray a loaf pan well with non-stick cooking spray.
- In a large microwave-safe bowl, melt the butter.
- Remove from microwave and add in marshmallows. Stir to coat marshmallows with butter.
- Return to the microwave and heat on high for 30 second intervals (stirring well after each 30 seconds) until marshmallows have melted. Stir well to mix melted marshmallows with butter.
- Separate melted marshmallow mixture into 5 separate large bowls (this is about ½ cup melted marshmallows per bowl).
- You'll want to add a different color food coloring to each bowl so you'll have one bowl for red, one for orange, one for yellow, one for green and one for blue.
- Add two cups of Rice Krispies cereal to each bowl and stir well to mix. You'll want to make sure all the cereal is coated with the marshmallow mixture.
- Now you can start layering the mixtures into the greased loaf pan. Start with red on the bottom, then orange, yellow, green and blue. Push down on each layer to pack it firmly before moving onto the next layer. This mixture is sticky so keep a bowl of cold water close by to wet your hands to prevent a sticky mess.
- Top the Rice Krispies cake with mini marshmallows (pushing down on them to make sure they stick to the top of the cake).
- Put in refrigerator for at least two hours before slicing and serving.
Planning a Rainbow Party? Check out this post of Rainbow Party ideas!
Visit our St. Patrick’s Day page for even more rainbow themed treats and free printables.