Have you recently moved or are planning to move in the near future? One of the sensitive topics for kids may be how to make new friends. Leaving old friends behind can be a stressful time for young ones.
Activity Ideas to Make New Friends:
- Once you’ve started to settle into your new home, introduce yourself to some of your new neighbours (be sure to bring your kids along). Do they have any kids? What school do they attend? What activities are there for kids in the area?
- Invite some of your new neighbours over for a barbeque or housewarming party. This will be a great opportunity for everyone to get to know each other better. Make sure to plan some interactive games for the kids to play together.
- If your child has already started at a new school, have them invite some of their new friends and their parents to your housewarming party. It’s a great opportunity for you to make new friends as well.
- Is there a special holiday coming up? If so, you could throw a small party and invite some new neighbours and classmates.
- If your home is still messy & disorganized from the move, you could invite some of your new neighbours to the park for a fun game of soccer.
- Here are some easy conversational tips to give your kids while trying to make new friends. This helps to relieve some of their fear when they are trying to think of things to talk to their new friends about.
- It’s always important to meet the parents of your child’s new friends as well. Not only can you make new friends but it’s a great way to ensure proper communication during play dates and other activities.
Did you move to a new area as a child? Did you find it difficult to make new friends?