Now that the holiday season has come to an end, many of us have shifted our focus to winter vacation plans. Have you already booked a winter getaway? My son and I usually travel to Arizona for a week but we haven’t booked anything yet for this year. Although I really look forward to escaping the cold for a week, I often start to get anxiety leading up to the trip worried about one of us getting sick before we’re scheduled to leave or being sick during the vacation. With these homemade dark chocolate cranberry granola bars, you can help your body fight off some of those cold and flu germs before you get sick. No one wants to be sick on a vacation!
Homemade Granola Bars:
So what ingredients make this a snack to support your immune system? Check out these health benefits:
Oats – contain insoluble fibre, which helps regulate your immune system
Honey – this natural sweetener is packed with antioxidants
Dark Chocolate – a good source of phytonutrients, which work with other essential nutrients to promote good health
Dried Cranberries – a source of dietary fibre and antioxidants
Dried Blueberries – a source of antioxidants
I should note that when it comes to vitamins and other immune system benefits in fruit, fresh is best. So although you do get some health benefits in dried fruit, you’ll want to include fresh fruits in your diet for the full nutritional benefits.
As part of your flu-fighting plans, are you getting the flu shot this year? Do you know that you can receive your flu vaccination from Shoppers Drug Mart pharmacies? An injection-certified pharmacist administers these vaccines at all hours, without an appointment, just walk-in. That’s a lot more convenient than waiting in line at a flu clinic or your doctor’s office. Did you know that the vaccination may take two weeks to take effect? No one wants to get sick when you have fun winter vacation plans so now is the time to consider getting your flu vaccination if you haven’t already this season.
Dark Chocolate Cranberry Granola Bars:
These dark chocolate cranberry granola bars will need to set in the fridge to cool for at least two hours before cutting into bars.
- 6 cups large flake oats
- ¼ cup unsalted butter
- ½ cup honey
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- pinch of salt
- 1 cup sweetened shredded coconut
- 1 cup dried fruit like cranberries, blueberries, cherries or raisins
- ½ cup dark chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Spread oats evenly over a cookie sheet and toast for 15 minutes (stirring once after 7 minutes).
- In a small saucepan, heat butter, honey, cinnamon, vanilla and salt over medium-high heat until the mixture comes to a boil. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Place toasted oats in a large bowl, pour honey mixture over top and stir well until oats are all coated. Let cool for 10 minutes before adding the final mix-ins.
- Place coconut, dried fruit and chocolate in the oat mixture and stir well to mix.
- Line a 9” x 9” baking pan with parchment paper and pour granola mixture over parchment paper. Use spatula to press mixture down firmly and evenly in pan.
- Place in fridge to cool for at least two hours before cutting into bars.
Shoppers Cold & Flu Prize Pack:
Shoppers Drug Mart wants to help you this cold & flu season by giving you a chance to win a Cold & Flu Prize pack valued at $160. This prize package includes:
- $100 Shoppers Drug Mart gift card
- Life Brand Hand Sanitizer
- Life Brand Cough Drops
- Life Brand Vaporizing Cold Rub
- Life Brand Electrolyte Maintenance Powder
- Life Brand Vaporizer
- Life Brand Digital Thermometer
- No Name Disinfectant Wipes
- PC Chicken Noodle Soup
- PC Facial Tissues
- PC Feeling Soothed Tea
a Rafflecopter giveaway
Giveaway Rules & Restrictions:
- This giveaway is open to Canadian (excluding Quebec) residents only who are at least 18 years of age. Giveaways are void where prohibited by law.
- Winner will be chosen randomly. Winning entries will be verified prior to contacting the winner.
- Odds of winning depend on number of entrants.
- The giveaway ends January 18th, 2018 at 11:59pm. A winner will be drawn randomly within 24 hours of the end of the giveaway. The winner will be notified, by email, and will have 48 hours to claim the prize & answer a skill-testing question. If I do not receive a response from the winner within 48 hours, a prize forfeit will be assumed and a new winner will be chosen randomly.
- I reserve the right to disqualify any entries. I reserve the right to end, extend, or change a giveaway for any reason and without prior notice.
- By entering giveaways, you verify that you understand and meet the prize eligibility requirements.
- Please note that Moms & Munchkins is not responsible for sponsors that do not fulfill their prize. I will not be responsible for lost or damaged items. Replacement items will not be provided. We have represented each sponsor with the expectation that they will fulfill their prize in a timely manner. While we are not responsible, we will make every effort to assist the winner in obtaining their prize.
- Please wait 4 weeks for fulfillment of prize. Winners have 8 weeks to report non-fulfillment of prizes.
- Once the winner claims the prize, his/her name will be posted on the giveaway page. Your name, full mailing address and email address will be sent to the prize sponsor so they can contact you to award your prize.
*Disclosure: I was compensated for this post; however, all opinions expressed here are my own.
13 thoughts on “Homemade Granola Bars To Support Your Immune System”
During the winter I wash my hands frequently and get lots of rest.
I wash my hands like crazy, try to stay away from sick people and eat healthy,
I get a flue shot, take Vitamin C and D and wash my hands often.
Make sure to wipe down carts in grocery stores.
I try to get more rest/sleep and use a lot of hand sanitizer
I would recommend getting the flu shot to prevent the flu and cold. I frequently wash my hands and use disinfecting wipes and find it really helps too. #ShoppersFlu 🙂
Staying hydrate, hand washing and sanitizing plus ensuing we’re eating fresh veggies & fruits high in vitamin c, D, A good night’s rest also helps!.
I wash my hands frequently and do my best to stay away from people and places that harbour lots of germs
Wash my hands frequently, eat well & get lots of rest.
I Wash my hand often and if someone got cold in household I try to spray certain areas of the house with disinfectant spray including every doors knobs in the house.
To prevent illness I sleep regular hours, eat healthy foods, and hand wash frequently.
Keeping away from flus and colds we make sure to wash hands frequently, lots of sleep, proper eating and exercise regularly. Also a good vitamin helps as well.
Came out dry, crumbled/fell apart-pretty disappointed (left to chill in fridge overnight)