You’ve all heard of the popular Canadian poutine, right? Basically it’s fries topped with gravy and cheese curds. It’s delicious! Today I’m sharing a sweet version of this popular dish – Caramel Apple Poutine. Swap the fries for apple slices and the gravy for homemade caramel sauce. Super sweet & totally tasty!
Caramel Apple Poutine Recipe:
For some added texture, I added a super simple pie topping to the apple fries but you could leave it out and still have a yummy dessert.
- Apple Fries:
- 2 large apples
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 6 tablespoons butter, unsalted
- ½ cup heavy cream (35%)
- Pie Topping (optional):
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons cold butter, unsalted
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- Slice apples into strips (like fries).
- Lay apple strips flat on a baking sheet (ungreased).
- Mix 1 tablespoon sugar and 1 teaspoon cinnamon together then sprinkle over apples.
- Bake for 15 minutes.
- For pie topping, mix flour, sugar and cold butter together until it's a crumbly mixture.
- Sprinkle over fries and bake for an additional 15 minutes.
- For caramel: In a saucepan, combine brown sugar, cream and butter until it comes to a boil. Stir constantly as it can burn easily.
- Let caramel mixture boil gently for 5 minutes. Remove from heat and allow to cool & thicken before using on your dessert.
- Serve apple fries in a bowl (serve warm), drizzle with caramel sauce and top with a scoop of vanilla ice cream.
Suddenly craving poutine? Be sure to check out our very Canadian Chicken Poutine Burgers!