This Canada Day Sundae Bar idea is courtesy of our contributor Chantelle of Dolled Up Design…Canada Day is fast approaching and our family is looking forward to celebrating the big 150. This year we are making plans to actually be downtown to see the ballgame and then stick around until after dark to see the fireworks display. Normally I am not a fan of the downtown crowds, but with the milestone birthday I know the show will be extra spectacular.
Canada Day is typically a pretty low key day for us with some outdoor time and a casual barbeque. For a fun and stress free dessert to accompany this year’s meal, I came up with this Red, White and Maple themed DIY Canada Day sundae bar that’s sure to be a hit with all members of the family.
Canada Day Sundae Bar:
I love sundae bars because they are easy to put together with store bought ingredients, can be easily themed, and are perfect for crowds since they allow everyone to customize their own dessert. The inspiration for the theme of this Canada Day sundae bar first came from these great ice cream cups I found at Dollar Tree.
For toppings ideas, it seems every store has specialty Canada inspired items out right now, so keep your eyes peeled when perusing the grocery aisles. I found yummy maple flavored PC brand marshmallows at Real Canadian Superstore, and the Red Velvet Maple Leaf cookies are Sobeys/ Safeway’s Our Compliments brand. The limited edition red and white Canada M&M’s are widely available in most grocery stores, and the adorable tiny maple leaf shaped sprinkles were a Bulk Barn find. For more red and white options, I also added in some fresh cut strawberries, maraschino cherries and creamy white whipped cream.
For a sauce, nothing is more Canadian then the taste of maple syrup. I grabbed a bottle of maple syrup and made up a batch of the delicious Maple Whiskey Ice Cream Sauce shared below. This caramel like syrup came together on the stovetop with only a handful of ingredients and is delicious over ice cream.
To make my Canada Day sundae bar look pretty, I put everything in small glass jars and set it all on this handy Canada tray I picked up at Dollarama. The tray makes it quick and easy to bring everything along to a potluck or barbeque, or even just to bring out to enjoy on your own back patio.
My kids loved making their own Canada sundaes. Their favorites were the whipped cream, sprinkles and plenty of extra maraschino cherries. There is no right or wrong way to do this, so pick up some yummy red and white toppings and celebrate our great nation with some patriotic sundaes!
Maple Whiskey Ice Cream Sauce Recipe:
- ½ cup unsalted butter
- 1 cup brown sugar
- ½ cup heavy cream
- 1/3 cup pure maple syrup
- 2 TBSP Canadian Whiskey (I used Crown Royal)
1. Melt butter in small saucepan over medium heat
2. Once butter is melted, add the brown sugar and stir. Add in the heavy cream and continue stirring until mixture is fully combined.
3. Bring mixture to a boil, stirring continuously. Continue boiling and stirring another 7-10 minutes until the syrup thickens slightly.
4. Remove pot from heat and stir in both the maple syrup and the whiskey.
5. Return to heat for an additional 5 minutes to thoroughly combine ingredients and cook off the alcohol.
6. Sauce will thicken as it cools. Allow to cool slightly for immediate use, or cool completely and transfer to a covered container to store in the fridge for up to 1 week.
7. When ready to use from the fridge, reheat in the microwave for 30-60 seconds. The sauce may separate and need to be stirred before use.
We’d like to send a big THANK YOU to Chantelle for sharing these creative ideas with us! Her parties & crafts are always easy to recreate and kids love them! Be sure to follow her on Facebook to stay updated on all her fabulous ideas.
2 thoughts on “Red, White and Maple Sundae Bar”