On July 30th, I had the pleasure of meeting Chef Lynn Crawford at her restaurant Ruby Watchco in Toronto. We were there to celebrate the #SummerSideUp event with Egg Farmers of Canada so we had the opportunity to try a few of Chef Lynn’s delicious recipes with eggs. Oh my goodness, it was all so delicious! I knew my husband would love it too so I was excited to try to make the same meals at home. The first one I wanted to try was the Black Bean & Egg Tostadas. Seriously…look at this meal from the event and I dare you not to drool!
When planning a summer party, eggs may not be the first thing that come to mind for your meal but they are usually a big part of your recipes! For instance, eggs in your potato salad, eggs in your homemade burgers, eggs in your desserts, etc. Eggs can take center stage with recipes like Chef Lynn’s Black Bean & Egg Tostadas or her Egg & Lobster Rolls. With 6 grams of high quality protein and 14 essential nutrients in each large egg, eggs are an excellent choice for any meal of the day!
Chef Lynn knows the importance of cooking with fresh, local and quality ingredients. Did you know that eggs are fresh, local and high-quality no matter where you shop? You can trust that Canadian eggs under supply management are fresh & safe for your family because they are produced according to detailed farming practices.
The meal at Ruby Watchco was amazing! Her restaurant is gorgeous and I love the style! The menu changes daily and all meals are served family-style. Chef Lynn knows the importance of gathering with loved ones over a delicious meal.
Our meal ended with an AMAZING Chocolate Brownie S’mores. I’m drooling just looking at the photo! You can make these at home too – and trust me, you NEED to try these at home – with Chef Lynn’s Chocolate Brownie S’mores recipe.
There is still plenty of time to celebrate your summer in #SummerSideUp style with delicious egg recipes. Are you planning a summer family BBQ? These recipes are a great alternative to traditional burgers and hot dogs. I know you may be thinking that a professional chef’s recipes may be too difficult for you to try at home. Not true! She really made them easy enough for anyone to make in their own kitchen. I made the Black Bean & Egg Tostadas recipe at home and my husband loved them!
Black Bean & Egg Tostadas:
This recipe is perfect for summer entertaining!
- ½ medium red onion, thinly sliced
- 2 tbsp fresh lime juice
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 tbsp olive oil, for frying
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- ¼ tsp ground cumin
- ¼ tsp chili powder
- 1 can black beans (540 mL), rinsed and drained
- 6 small eggs
- 6 corn tostadas
- 1 avocado, sliced
- 3 small radishes, thinly sliced
- 1 jalapeño, thinly sliced
- ½ cup crumbled queso fresco
- Fresh cilantro leaves and sliced limes for garnish.
- Combine red onion, lime juice, and salt in a small bowl and set aside.
- In a saucepan over medium heat, add oil and gently sauté garlic. Add cumin, chili powder, and black beans. Set aside once warm.
- In a large nonstick skillet over medium high heat, add oil and fry eggs sunny side up. I fry the eggs one at a time. Fry the eggs just before serving because you want them to still be warm when serving the tostadas.
- Assemble your tostadas! Spoon warm black beans over each tostada. Top with avocado, then fried eggs. Garnish with red onion, radishes, jalapeño, queso fresco, cilantro leaves and a sliced lime on the side.
#SummerSideUp Twitter Party!
Don’t forget to join us on Wednesday, August 5th at 9pm ET for the #SummerSideUp Twitter Party! We’ll be talking about egg-cellent summer entertaining ideas and casual backyard dining with friends and family. There are $1500 worth of prizes to be won – click here to RSVP!
Be sure to like the Egg Farmers of Canada on Facebook for delicious recipe ideas, follow @eggsoeufs on Twitter for exciting contest details and helpful tips and follow them on Pinterest for healthy & fun meal ideas.
Disclosure: I am participating in the Egg Farmers of Canada campaign managed by SJ Consulting. I received compensation in exchange for my participation in this campaign. The opinions on this blog are my own.