These tasty Sausage & Pepper Turnovers can be served as a party appetizer or as a main meal. For a delicious family dinner, serve them with a side salad or garlic ranch potatoes. These are really easy to make as they use Pillsbury Crescent dough (no making dough from scratch – phew!).
Sausage & Pepper Turnovers:
If you can’t find ground Italian sausage for this recipe you could use cooked sausage chopped into bite-sized pieces instead. The sausage meat can be quite greasy so you’ll want to drain the grease out of the frying pan before adding the rest of the ingredients.
- 1 pound ground Italian sausage
- ¼ cup red onion, diced
- ⅓ cup red pepper, diced
- ⅓ cup green pepper, diced
- 1 tsp dried basil
- ½ cup chunky salsa
- 1 can (8 crescents) Pillsbury Original Crescents
- Heat oven to 375°F.
- In a large nonstick skillet, cook sausage until thoroughly cooked. Drain grease.
- Add onion, peppers, basil and salsa over medium heat for 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat and set aside.
- Unroll dough; separate into 8 triangles and place on an ungreased baking pan.
- Place a spoonful of filling mixture onto each triangle and fold each of the 3 points into the centre over top of the filling. Pinch the points together to seal.
- Bake 10-12 minutes.
Another recipe I love that uses Pillsbury dough are these Chicken, Apple & Brie Turnovers. They taste like a homemade pizza pocket and you can substitute the chicken, apple and brie with your favorite pizza toppings instead like pepperoni, mushrooms, tomato sauce and cheese. It’s a yummy lunch idea that kids will love!