This rainbow cupcakes post is courtesy of our contributor Melissa…Kids are sure to love these creative rainbow cupcakes. They are perfect for birthday parties (I’m thinking themes like art, My Little Pony, Care Bears), Easter, St. Patrick’s Day…and the list goes on. Seriously though, do we really need a special occasion for rainbow cupcakes? Nope – they are perfect for any day of the year!
Rainbow Cupcakes Recipe & Tutorial:
For the buttercream, check out this delicious and easy buttercream recipe.
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 sticks unsalted butter, room temperature
- 2⅓ cups sugar
- 5 large egg whites
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1½ cups milk
- Red, orange, yellow, green, blue, and purple gel food coloring
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Place cupcake liners in one 24 count or two 12 count cupcake pans.
- In a large bowl whisk together flour, baking powder and salt.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment cream butter and sugar.
- Slowly add egg whites and mix until well combined.
- Add vanilla and mix until fully incorporated.
- Add flour mixture and milk in two alternating additions beginning with the flour and ending with the milk.
- Mix until combined.
- Divide batter evenly between six medium bowls.
- Add enough of each color of food coloring to each bowl until desired shade is reached.
- Transfer each color to a large individual Ziploc bag.
- In rainbow order (red, orange, yellow, green, blue, purple) fill the cupcake papers with each color while just barely covering the previous batter color.
- Transfer to oven and bake for about 15 minutes.
- Remove cupcakes from oven and transfer to a wire rack.
- Let cool completely before frosting.
- Take the buttercream and separate into 3 bowls.
- Color one blue, one yellow, and one pink.
- Open your frosting bag/Ziploc bag wide and spoon the tinted blue frosting up one side, pink up another and yellow in the middle.
- Make sure to pipe it out on to a plate until you see all the colors coming out then top your cupcakes with a swirl.
Thank you to Melissa of Sweet & Tasty Pastry for sharing this rainbow cupcakes tutorial with us. Be sure to follow Melissa on Facebook for more delicious ideas. If you try this recipe, head over to her Facebook page to let her know what you thought of it. If you’re looking for a baker in Providence, Rhode Island, be sure to give her a call to discuss creative ideas.
For more delicious ideas, visit our special Easy Party Food & Family Recipes page. We’re always adding new ideas! Never miss a delicious update by following us on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, Google + and Bloglovin’.