It’s that time of year again – cold & flu season. With holiday parties starting soon, it’s not a good time of year to be sick. Actually, it’s never a good time to be sick! A cold or flu can sneak up on you quickly so it’s good to prepare yourself before you’re exposed to the germs. Some ways to reduce your chances of getting sick this cold & flu season include eating a healthy balanced diet, washing hands regularly, getting adequate sleep each night and getting your flu shot. This Immunity-Boosting Salad recipe is packed with vitamins and nutrients to help you stay feeling your best. It includes a homemade Creamy Lime Greek Yogurt Dressing that’s really easy to prepare.
Do you know that you can receive your flu vaccination from Shoppers Drug Mart pharmacies? An injection-certified pharmacist administers these vaccines at all hours, without an appointment, just walk-in. That’s a lot more convenient than waiting in line at a flu clinic or your doctor’s office. Fall is the best time to get vaccinated since the vaccination may take two weeks to take effect.
So what exactly makes this an immunity-boosting salad? All the fresh and healthy ingredients! Check out these health benefits:
Lime – excellent source of vitamin C
Red Bell Peppers – excellent source of vitamin C (twice as much vitamin C as a citrus fruit)
Spinach – rich in vitamin C and beta carotene (which may increase the infection-fighting ability of our immune system)
Garlic – contains the active ingredient allicin (which fights infection and bacteria
Greek Yogurt – look for plain, natural yogurt with “live and active cultures” printed on the label as these cultures may stimulate your immune system to help fight diseases
Chicken – excellent source of vitamin B-6 (vital to the formation of new and healthy red blood cells)
- 6 cups (packed) baby spinach leaves, washed
- 2 red bell peppers, diced
- 2 chicken breasts (boneless and skinless), cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup plain natural Greek yogurt
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons lime juice (approximately 1 lime)
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons dried parsley
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon dried dill
- ½ teaspoon dried chives
- In a medium sealable food storage container, combine all dressing ingredients and stir well to mix. Place lid on container and place this in the fridge for at least 5 hours (preferably overnight) so flavours have time to combine.
- In a large frying pan, cook chicken with oil and garlic until chicken is thoroughly cooked. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine spinach, red peppers and cooked chicken then toss with dressing. This is a very thick dressing so start with a couple of tablespoons then add more to your preference.
Shoppers Cold & Flu Prize Pack:
Shoppers Drug Mart wants to help you this cold & flu season by giving you a chance to win a Cold & Flu Prize pack valued at $160. This prize package includes:
- $100 Shoppers Drug Mart gift card
- Life Brand Hand Sanitizer
- Life Brand Cough Drops
- Life Brand Vaporizing Cold Rub
- Life Brand Electrolyte Maintenance Powder
- Life Brand Vaporizer
- Life Brand Digital Thermometer
- No Name Disinfectant Wipes
- PC Chicken Noodle Soup
- PC Facial Tissues
- PC Feeling Soothed Tea
Enter through the Rafflecopter form below.
a Rafflecopter giveaway
Giveaway Rules & Restrictions:
- This giveaway is open to Canadian (excluding Quebec) residents only who are at least 18 years of age. Giveaways are void where prohibited by law.
- Winner will be chosen randomly. Winning entries will be verified prior to contacting the winner.
- Odds of winning depend on number of entrants.
- The giveaway ends November 15th, 2017 at 11:59pm. A winner will be drawn randomly within 24 hours of the end of the giveaway. The winner will be notified, by email, and will have 48 hours to claim the prize & answer a skill-testing question. If I do not receive a response from the winner within 48 hours, a prize forfeit will be assumed and a new winner will be chosen randomly.
- I reserve the right to disqualify any entries. I reserve the right to end, extend, or change a giveaway for any reason and without prior notice.
- By entering giveaways, you verify that you understand and meet the prize eligibility requirements.
- Please note that Moms & Munchkins is not responsible for sponsors that do not fulfill their prize. I will not be responsible for lost or damaged items. Replacement items will not be provided. We have represented each sponsor with the expectation that they will fulfill their prize in a timely manner. While we are not responsible, we will make every effort to assist the winner in obtaining their prize.
- Please wait 4 weeks for fulfillment of prize. Winners have 8 weeks to report non-fulfillment of prizes.
- Once the winner claims the prize, his/her name will be posted on the giveaway page. Your name, full mailing address and email address will be sent to the prize sponsor so they can contact you to award your prize.
*Disclosure: I was compensated for this post; however, all opinions expressed here are my own.
Reference: 15 Foods That Boost The Immune System – Healthline