This post is courtesy of our Sunday Sweets contributor Sarah…Spring is right around the corner and there’s nothing better than spring time cake pops to help ring in the new season! Today I’ll show you how to make cherry cake pops. Let’s start off with the cherry cake recipe and then we’ll move into the step-by-step instructions with photos.
- 2¼ cups cake flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1¼ cups milk
- 4 large egg whites
- 1½ cups sugar
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon cherry extract
- 1 tablespoons marachino cherry juice (from the jar that the cherries come in)
- 1 bag of frozen cherries
- Preheat the oven to 350F.
- Spray a 9-inch round cake pans with cooking spray. Set aside.
- Mix together the flour, baking powder and salt. In another bowl, whisk together the milk and egg whites.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, beat the sugar and butter until very light and fluffy, at least 3 minutes.
- Beat in the cherry extract and cherry juice.
- Add one third of the flour mixture, beating on medium speed.
- Beat in half of the egg-milk mixture, then half of the remaining dry ingredients. Beat until incorporated.
- Beat in the rest of the milk mixture, then add the remaining flour mixture. Beat the mixture for 2 minutes to make sure everything is incorporated and aerated.
- Fold in the cherries, then divide the mixture between the two pans.
- Bake in the preheated oven until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- Cool completely.
Cherry Cake Pops Supplies:
- Cherry Cake (recipe above)
- Parchment paper
- Coconut oil or shortening or vegetable oil
- Styrofoam (can use parchment paper instead)
- Candy coating
- Cake pop sticks
- edible glitter dust
- Pre-made fondant flowers (you can either make these of purchase them at your local cake supply store)
- Candy Pearls
Once the cake is baked and cooled, crumble it.
Take your frosting and mix about a palm full into you crumbled cake. Mix the two together until you get a cookie dough consistency.
Roll the mixture in to golf size balls and place on parchment paper.
Melt a small amount of the white candy melts in the microwave; this will be used to dip the sticks into the pops to act as a glue. Dip the sticks in the candy melt, and place the stick in the center of the pop taking care not to push the stick any further and half way.
Melt the candy melt in your chose if color with approximately a tablespoon of coconut oil or shortening or vegetable oil. Make sure to mix the mixture well once it is melted. Take the cherry cake pops and begin dipping the pops into the candy melt mixture.
Before the candy melt dries completely, take the edible glitter and sprinkle it all around the cake pops. Put a pre-made fondant flower on top. Place a very small amount of candy melt onto the fondant flower and place a candy pearl on top. Place the pops into the Styrofoam and let them dry.
And there you have it, springtime cherry cake pops to help you enjoy the upcoming Spring weather! Enjoy everyone!
We’d like to give a big THANK YOU to Sarah of Lolli Cakes for sharing this delicious recipe with us. She has such an amazing talent with cakes and cake pops! For more decorating inspiration, be sure to follow her on Facebook.