Do you have a favorite pie filling? My favorites kind of change with the seasons. Warm apple pie is always delicious in the fall with a big scoop of vanilla ice cream. Around Thanksgiving, I always need a slice of pumpkin pie. In the spring I’m all about the lemon desserts so lemon meringue pie is a great choice. In the summer, fresh berry pies at the farmers market are calling my name. I think it’s safe to say that I like all pies. No surprise there, right? If I had to pick a favorite pie filling though, I think I’d have to pick cherry. Plus when you pair cherries with chocolate…drooling! If you’re a fan of chocolate and cherries too, you’re going to love these fudge Chocolate Cherry Brownies.
Chocolate Cherry Brownies:
You could pick these up with your hands and eat them like a regular brownie but they’re a little messy with the cherry filling. I’d recommend serving these on dessert plates – maybe even serving them slightly warm with a big scoop of vanilla ice cream on top! If you’re going to indulge then who cares about the extra ice cream calories, right?
- 2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips (1 cup for brownies, 1 cup for topping)
- ¾ cup unsalted butter
- ¾ cup all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 can cherry pie filling
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Line a 9" x 9" baking pan with parchment paper.
- In a small bowl, melt 1 cup of chocolate chips with ¾ cup butter in microwave. Melt on 30 second intervals, stirring after each 30 seconds, just until chocolate is melted. You want this melted but not hot.
- In a separate medium bowl, stir flour, cocoa powder, and salt together until well combined.
- In a large bowl, whisk together sugar, eggs, and vanilla.
- Stir melted chocolate mixture in with egg mixture. Stir until well blended.
- Stir in dry ingredients with wet ingredients. Stir just until mixed.
- Pour brownie batter into prepared pan.
- Spread cherry pie filling evenly over brownie batter.
- Sprinkle remaining 1 cup of chocolate chips over top of pie filling.
- Bake for 35-38 minutes.
- Once out of the oven, use a spoon to spread the melted chocolate chips on top evenly over brownies.
- Let cool at least two hours before cutting into squares.
Love chocolate & cherry recipes? Check out a couple of our other favorites…
Chocolate Cherry Cheesecake – a brownie base topped with cheesecake and cherry pie filling. So yummy!
Chocolate Cherry Cookies – chewy chocolate cookies with cherries in every bite!