When you think of Christmas, what flavors or tastes come to mind? Tart cranberries? Eggnog? Peppermint? Chocolate and mint is one of my favorite combos – especially during the holiday party season! These Mint Chocolate Chip Cookies are great for those holiday baking exchanges and they freeze really well so you can start making them now and freezing them. Warning though, I put mine in the freezer but I kept eating them straight from the freezer instead of saving them for closer to Christmas. I finally had to have a friend come over and take them out of the house. Ha! When it comes to chocolate, I seriously lack willpower.
Mint Chocolate Chip Cookies:
This recipe makes 3 dozen small cookies but if you wanted to make these into larger two tablespoon sized cookies instead, increase the baking time by about 2 minutes.
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup light brown sugar, firmly packed
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 2¼ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ¾ cup cocoa
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1½ cups mint chocolate chips (separated)
- 1 cup milk chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 375F.
- Line a cookie baking sheet with a silicone baking mat and set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat together butter, brown sugar and granulated sugar until well mixed.
- Add in eggs and peppermint extract. Beat just until mixed.
- In a separate medium-sized bowl, combine flour, baking soda, cocoa, and salt. Stir well to mix.
- Pour dry ingredients into wet ingredients and beat just until mixed. Do not over mix.
- Stir in milk chocolate chips and 1 cup of the mint chocolate chips. Set the other ½ cup of mint chocolate chips aside for now.
- Form cookies into 1 tablespoon sized balls and place (2 inches apart) on baking sheet.
- Use the remaining mint chocolate chips to press a few into the top of each cookie dough ball before baking.
- Bake for 7-9 minutes.
- Remove from oven and let cool on baking sheet for 5 minutes before removing to wire rack to cool completely.
Looking for more yummy cookie recipes? Check out our other favorites…
Double Chocolate Coconut Cookies – chocolate & coconut is such a delicious combo!
Chocolate Chip Caramel Cookies – these tasty cookies start with a boxed cake mix!