These Cranberry Orange Muffins are the perfect combination of sweet & tart. The recipe includes a sweet orange icing glaze making these muffins great for breakfast or dessert. These muffins are quite easy to make – no mixer required – and they’d be a great holiday brunch treat or afternoon coffee break snack. They’ve been given the thumbs up around here by both the kids and the adults – I consider that a win!
Cranberry Orange Muffins:
Love chocolate? Who doesn’t! You can add some extra sweetness to these muffins by adding in 1 cup of semi-sweet chocolate chips.
- 1½ cups all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1½ tablespoons orange zest, reserve 1 teaspoon of zest for the glaze (zest of approximately 2 large oranges)
- ¾ cup buttermilk
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeeze orange juice
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups frozen or fresh cranberries (set ½ cup of cranberries aside)
- 1½ cups powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed orange juice
- 1 teaspoon orange zest
- 1 tablespoon milk
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, salt, baking powder, sugar and orange zest. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together buttermilk, vegetable oil, eggs, orange juice, and vanilla until well combined.
- Pour wet ingredients into dry ingredients and stir just until well combined - don't over mix.
- Stir in 1.5 cups of cranberries.
- Pour batter evenly into 18 greased (or muffin wrapper lined) muffin tins.
- Press the remaining ½ cup of cranberries into the tops of each unbaked muffin.
- Bake for 22-25 minutes or until toothpick inserted in the middle of a muffin comes out clean.
- Cool in muffin tin for 10 minutes before removing to cool completely on wire rack.
- For the glaze, whisk all ingredients together until well mixed.
- Spread glaze evenly over each muffin.
- Store muffins in the refrigerator.
Looking for more delicious muffin recipes? Check out our other favorites…
Raspberry White Chocolate Muffins – I’m not a fan of white chocolate but it’s so delicious in this muffin!
Cranberry Banana Muffins – these are an old family favorite!