With cooler weather approaching, I’m dreaming of pumpkin & apple desserts. Thanksgiving wouldn’t be complete without some delicious apple desserts and this next recipe is a crowd-pleaser – Caramel Apple Crisp Pie! It’s just like the popular apple crisp recipe (like Grandma used to make) but with a crisp pie crust and drizzled with caramel. It’s best when served warm with a scoop of ice cream but it’s just as tasty cold from the fridge the next day!
Caramel Apple Crisp Pie Recipe:
There are a few steps in this recipe but they are all easy to put together and the extra effort is worth it in the end!
- Pie Crust:
- ¼ cup melted butter, unsalted
- ½ cup graham cracker crumbs
- ⅓ cup quick cooking oats
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- Apple Filling:
- 2 large apples, cut into bite-sized pieces
- ⅓ cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- Crisp Topping:
- ½ cup quick cooking oats
- ½ cup flour
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ¼ tsp baking powder
- ⅛ tsp baking soda
- 3 tablespoons cold butter
- 3 tablespoons butter, unsalted
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ¼ cup heavy cream (35%)
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- For the pie crust: Mix all ingredients together in a small bowl then press into an ungreased 9" pie pan. Bake for 15 minutes then remove from oven to cool slightly before adding apple mixture.
- For apples: Stir together apples, sugar and cinnamon until well mixed. Pour apple mixture into baked pie crust.
- For crisp topping: Stir oats, flour, brown sugar, baking soda and baking powder together until well mixed. Cut in cold butter until mixture is crumbly. Sprinkle over apples.
- Bake in oven for 40 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool slightly. It is best served warm but it holds it's pie slice shape better when cool.
- For caramel topping: In a medium saucepan, melt butter over high heat then add brown sugar and cream. Stir well to mix. Bring to a boil then reduce to medium-high heat and let the mixture continue to boil for 5 minutes. Remove from heat and allow to cool. Mixture will get thicker as it cools. Drizzle caramel over pie before serving.
Do you have a favorite fall recipe? This Pumpkin & Marshmallow Dessert is one of our family favorites and we make it at every family gathering in the fall!