This chewy granola bar recipe is a perfect breakfast-on-the-go or afternoon snack. My son has nut allergies so I didn’t include any nuts in the recipe. To make them safe for school, I chose Sun-Maid Raisins and Ocean Spray Craisins (both of these items were labeled as nut-free).
Something to keep in mind when you’re making nut-free treats for school, never buy items from the bulk bins. If the items are in open bulk bins, they are no longer nut-free as bin scoops get mixed between containers, bins are open beside items containing nuts, etc. If you’re looking for nut-free, buy the actual store-packaged products labeled as nut-free.
Chewy Granola Bar Recipe:
Since these need time to set, you may want to make them in the evening and leave them covered in plastic wrap in the fridge overnight.
- 1.5 cups quick cooking oats
- 1.5 cup Cheerios
- .5 cup crisp Rice Krispies
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- ⅓ cup honey
- 4 tablespoons butter, unsalted
- ½ cup raisins
- ½ cup Craisins
- Lightly grease a 8 x 8 baking pan.
- In a large bowl, mix together the oats, Cheerios and Rice Krispies, raisins and Craisins.
- In a small saucepan, melt the butter, honey and brown sugar together until it begins to bubble.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer for 2 minutes.
- Pour the butter mixture over the cereal mixture and stir well until evenly coated.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared pan and press down firmly to compact it.
- Cover with plastic wrap and place in fridge to cool for 2 hours (or until firm).
- Cut into squares and store in airtight containers.
For more delicious recipe ideas, visit our Party Food & Family Recipes page.