The warm weather has finally arrived! Do you know what that means? BBQ season! Yes, it’s time to invite your friends and family over for some delicious food, great company and maybe a water balloon fight or two. One way that I know summer is on its way is the delicious smell of the BBQ food throughout the neighbourhood. Do you make a delicious burger? Perhaps you have a recipe for a pasta salad that can’t be beat. One of my favourites is always the potato salad and with the BBQ season now here it is time to try some new potato salad recipes.
How much do I love potato salad? Well, I still have a card here from my husband wishing me a happy 30th birthday and he wrote on it “Cake is good and so is potatoe salad”. No, I’m not kidding. So he may not be the best at writing love notes but he does have excellent taste in food (and might I add an excellent choice in a wife as well!).
My favourite place to go for new recipe ideas is LifeMadeDelicious.ca. All of the recipes are easy to follow and they all include a delicious picture. So with a little search on “potato salad recipes”, I came up with two new recipes to try and I’ll share them both here with you.
Potato Salad Recipes – Loaded Potato Salad:
When you order a baked potato at a restaurant, do you ask for them to bring out the tray with all the delicious toppings? Then you’re sure to love this Loaded Potato Salad.
- 2 lbs new red potatoes with skins (2 lbs)
- ⅓ cup water
- ¼ cup fresh chives, chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter or margarine, melted
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- ¼ cup sour cream
- ¼ cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon milk
- ¼ cup real bacon bits
- ¼ cup red bell pepper, chopped
- ¼ cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Place potatoes and water in a large microwavable bowl.
- Cover and microwave on High 8 to 10 minutes or just until potatoes are tender.
- Drain potatoes.
- Stir in chives, butter, salt and pepper.
- Refrigerate uncovered 10 minutes (cool potatoes completely).
- In small bowl mix sour cream, mayonnaise and milk.
- Stir sour cream mixture, bacon, bell pepper and cheese into potatoes.
- Serve immediately or cover and refrigerate until serving time.
Potato Salad Recipes – Greek Potato Salad:
I love Greek salad so I knew I’d love this potato salad version. It’s so delicious that you forget that it’s good for you too!
- 2 lbs unpeeled new red potatoes
- 2 medium bell peppers, cut into small cubes
- 2 medium tomatoes, seeded, cut into eighths
- 1 medium cucumber, cut into small cubes
- ½ cup medium red onion, very thinly sliced
- ½ cup whole kalamata or ripe olives
- 1 cup crumbled feta cheese
- Greek Lemon Dressing:
- ½ cup olive or vegetable oil
- ¼ cup lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh or 1 teaspoon dried oregano leaves
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- In a large pot, place steamer basket in water (water should not touch bottom of basket).
- Place potatoes in steamer basket.
- Cover tightly and heat to boiling; reduce heat.
- Steam 20 minutes or until tender.
- Cool to room temperature.
- In large glass or plastic bowl, beat all of the Lemon Dressing ingredients with wire whisk until blended; set aside.
- Add potatoes and remaining salad ingredients except cheese to dressing; toss.
- Serve immediately or cover and refrigerate up to 24 hours.
- Sprinkle with cheese just before serving.
Do you have any favourite potato salad recipes? Want to share your secret ingredient? Let us know in the comments below.
Disclosure: I am part of the Life Made Delicious Blogger program and I receive special perks as part of my affiliation with this group. The opinions on this blog are my own.